Sydney is arguably Australia's most famous city, and is definitely its biggest, but even the locals don't always know about the jewel in Sydney's crown - Watsons Bay.
If you've ever listened to a weather report on the news, you would know that describing the weather doesn't stop at "Today is sunny." We try to be as descriptive as possible when talking about what it's like outside so that anyone listening will know what to wear or how to prepare for what is to come.
- The longest English word that can be spelled without repeating any letters is ‘uncopyrightable’.
- ‘E’ is the most commonly used letter in the English language. In fact, as many as one in eight of all the letters written in English is ‘e’.
- The following sentence contains seven different spellings of the sound “ee”: ‘He believed Caesar could see people seizing the seas’.
- Approximately one new word is added to the English language every two hours and around 4,000 new words are added to the English dictionary every year
- The infinity sign, ∞, is called a lemniscate. Its name means “decorated with ribbons” in Latin.
- The part of a wall between two windows is called the interfenestration.
- The shortest, oldest and most commonly used word in conversation is "I". Medieval manuscripts reveal that some of the oldest words in English are "I", "two", "three", and "we."
Being back in Japan after having spent a couple of weeks in Canada has taken a bit of getting used to. It's difficult to adjust to the humidity of Osaka after returning from the cool, dry atmosphere in Toronto. Although I'm not too fond of the humidity, I do still love the summer in Japan because nearly every day is bright and sunny, and all the colors appear to be much more saturated than any other season.
This year, I was fortunate enough to have my trip to Canada coincide with Canada's 150th birthday. I hadn't been back to Canada on July 1st for 13 years, so the passion with which many people celebrated Canada Day was quite pleasant and refreshing to see...
With summer upon us it brings back memories of when I was a child growing up in Hawaii. I will try to share with you some of my childhood memories and also introduce you to some useful summer words in English.