Speaking politely is very important. Imagine if you went to a shop and the staff didn’t speak keigo, you wouldn’t be happy with them. It is similar in English speaking countries. It is better to speak politely. Speaking politely can change how people talk to you.
Asking for Permission Politely: May I / Could I
- Q: May I use the bathroom?
- A: Of course.
- Q: Could I please have a glass of water?
- A: Certainly.
Making Requests Politely: Could you
- Q: Could you tell me where the bathroom is?
- A: Yes, it is down the hall and to the left.
- Q: Could you please bring me a glass of water?
- A: Yes.
Making Offers Politely: Would you like
- Q: Would you like me to show you where the bathroom is?
- A: Yes, thank you.
- Q: Would you like something to drink?
- A: If you don’t mind, yes.
Try speaking politely in class next time, especially to your classmates!