Yes, summer is in full swing here now; you can tell by the shiny faces and sweat dripping down your back as you bake outside. Summer is when kids are out of school and adults get a holiday from work. Obon in August is just around the corner; have you made your travel plans yet?
Perhaps, you are a procrastinator and haven’t made any effort to secure your travel desires. Perhaps, you are a control freak who has planned every detail to a T. Maybe you are somewhere in the middle, like me.
The way I see it, you have some options on how you spend your holiday in the summer:
Relax around home. Don’t do anything in particular. Catch up on some sleep, read a book, stay cool and comfortable. Beware of boredom and maybe slight shame.
Get out of Japan. Go to that place you have always dreamed of. Release the adventurous side of yourself; explore. Beware of empty wallets, travelling families and busy sightseeing spots.
Visit those local places you have been meaning to experience. Take a few days and see what you’ve been wanting to see for some time. Beware of your countrymen doing the same thing.
Take a domestic trip. Visit your relatives, pay tribute to your ancestors, eat like a king and drink like a fish. Beware of doing what others want to do & gaining weight.
Personally, I am choosing option 4. What about you? How will you spend your summer vacation?
Vocabulary and Expressions:
- in full swing (adj) - in the highest level of activity
- procrastinator (n) - a person who postpones doing things
- control freak (n) - a person who likes to decide everything
- do something to a T - fully or completely
- empty wallets (n) - spending too much money
- pay tribute (v) - show respect / appreciation
- eat like a king (v) - eat a lot of good and expensive food
- drink like a fish (v) - drink a lot of alcohol