There are 2 types of telephone conversations - polite and casual. When children are calling their friends on the phone, they are usually incredibly casual. Sometimes friends who have known each other for a long time are also casual on the phone. If you are ever unsure, it is best to try to be as polite as possible.
Casual vs. Polite:
- C: Is Matt there?
- P: May I speak to Matt, please?
- C: When is he going to be home?
- P: Do you know what time he’ll get back?
- C: Where is he now?
- P: Do you know where he went?
- C: He was supposed to email me
- P: Could I leave a message please? / Could you please tell him that I haven’t received his email yet?
- C: Who is this?
- P: May I ask who is calling?
- C: What’s your phone number?
- P: May I have your phone number, please?
- C: You can call him back after 9:00
- P: Could you please call back after 9:00?
- C: He’s in the washroom now
- P: I’m sorry but he’s busy at the moment / he isn’t here at the moment
- C: What do you want me to tell him?
- P: May I take a message?
- C: Where are you now?
- P: Where are you calling from?