Many people make the mistake of answering the question, “Did you eat your lunch today?” with “Yes, I have.” The correct answer is “Yes, I did.” It’s very easy to remember which phrase to choose if you remember that the question and answer always use the same words.
Present tense - Do you…?
- Do you have a car? (The question here is Do you, not have you). - Yes, I do
- Do you eat cake? - Yes, I do
- Do you exercise? - Yes, I do
- Do you live in Senrioka? - Yes, I do
- Do you have allergies? (Again, the question is Do you) - No, I don’t
Past tense - Did you…?
- Did you have chicken for dinner last night? - Yes, I did
- Did you remember to turn off the gas? - Yes, I did
- Did you wash the dishes this morning? - No, I didn’t
- Did you have French fries with your hamburger? - No, I didn’t
Present perfect tense - Have you…?
- Have you..? (Present progressive - asking about experience)
- Have you eaten lunch yet? - No, I haven’t
- Have you been to Rome? - Yes, I have
- Have you had breakfast yet? - Yes, I have
- Have you seen the news today? - Yes, I have
Answer the following questions with 1. Yes, I have / 2. No, I haven’t / 3. Yes, I do / 4. No, I don’t / 5. Yes, I did / 6. No, I didn’t
Have you talked to your neighbor today?
Do you like video games?
Did you have a pet when you were a child?
Did you listen to music yesterday?
Have you ever been to Korea?
Have you had your morning coffee yet?
Do you know where dust comes from?
Did you check the weather today?
Do you have a moment?
Did you see how many cars I have?
Do you live with your parents?
Have you seen Jurassic World?