Hello everyone! How are you all?
Here is my latest idea for a simple but delicious meal. It feeds two, or you can store some for the next day and not have to cook and wash up!!!
Spiced cheese hamburger and asparagus
* Two steak and pork burgers (Kohyo does them in a pack of two for ¥158 in the evening discount!)
* 1 bunch of asparagus stalks (¥250)
* Chili powder (唐辛子, ¥150), turmeric and gravy powder
* 1 can of chopped tomatoes
* A small block of cheddar cheese (or sliced cheese)
* 4-5 garlic cloves
Preparation: chop the asparagus into small pieces (about 1.5 cm). Finely chop the garlic. Prepare the rice.
1. Start by cooking the rice. Next, fry the hamburgers on low/medium heat for about 4-5 minutes. You shouldn't need oil. Remember to turn the burgers over a couple of times.
2. Add the garlic and the asparagus with the burgers. You want the asparagus to brown a little - this will create a smokey flavour that compliments the other ingredients well.
3. Now add the can of tomatoes, but adjust the heat so that the tomatoes don't boil. Boiling tomatoes impairs their flavour. However, don't cover the burgers - put the tomatoes around them.
4. Turn the heat down to the lowest setting and put your cheese on top of the burgers. At the same time, add a sprinkle of chili powder, a tablespoon of turmeric, and a tablespoon of gravy powder. Stir everything around the pan. Why gravy powder? Well, it will thicken your tomato sauce and it won't be so runny. It improves the texture.
5. Heat until the cheese has started to melt and everything is mixed evenly.
6. Lay everything onto a bed of cooked rice. It is better to leave the burgers until last and place them on top of your meal.
7. ENJOY this well balanced meal!
Thank you for reading. I hope you enjoy this meal. Feel free to tweak it if you want!
Take care yourselves, and each other.