- In a nutshell - An explanation, short description or story is given with very little words that can fit into a nut shell
- In a nutshell we will have to eat out less to save money.
- spill the beans - divulge secrets, important information
- John finally spilled the beans and told us his plans.
- easy as pie - something that is really easy to do, pie means "simple and pleasurable"
- It was easy as pie to find the place.
- a piece of cake - again, something that's easy to do
- It was a piece of cake to put the chair together.
- apples and oranges - refers to two things that cannot be compared
- You can't compare Osakans andTokyoites because they're like apples and oranges.
- go bananas - means to go crazy or be crazy about something
- Crowded trains make me go bananas.
- I am bananas about Japanese food.
- cheese - a person or something of great importance
- Ben is the big cheese of Sunrise.
- You got some cheese for me? ( money )
- cup of tea - something pleasant or agreeable , usually used in the negative sense to be nice and not direct
- Namako isn't my cup of tea.
- walking on eggshells - doing something with great care as to not upset someone
- Japanese businessmen are always walking on eggshells with their customers.
I hope you enjoyed these idioms! Can you think of any other food idioms?